Introducing the Purple Octopus Playground
We invite you to personally be a part of the All-Abilities Purple Octopus Playground! Proudly show your support with an engraved fence picket that will encircle the playground for everyone to see. Thank you for partnering with us and supporting the Children's Museum!
Just click the Picket Fence Order Form button below, fill out the PDF, and send the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to 902 North 8th Street, Sheboygan, WI 53081.
Individual/Family Fence Picket:
$150 each or 4 for $575
Corporate/Business Fence Picket:
$300 each or 4 for $1175
Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the colors of the posts and engraved letters?
- All picket posts are white with the engraved lettering in blue. (The colors of our logo!)
- How many spaces are there on the posts for engraved letters?
- There are 17 spaces for letters on each picket post. Please include “_” for a space in between names.
- Where can I send my payment to?
- Please send checks to: Jackie Erdman, Above & Beyond Children’s Museum, 902 North 8th Street, Sheboygan, WI 53081
- We will accept checks dropped off at the Children’s Museum or mailed in. Please include PLAYGROUND in the memo line.
- Can I pay via credit card?
- We ask for payment to be made via a check dropped off or sent in the mail to the Children’s Museum (see address in the question above)
- How many picket fence posts will surround the playground?
- There are a total of 495 picket posts that will surround the Playground. Orders are taken on a first come, first served basis.
- When can I anticipate my picket fence post(s) will be installed?
- We estimate that fence post(s) will be installed between June-August, 2022. Our team will contact you via email once your post has been installed, so please check your email before reaching out for an update.
- When will the Playground be completed?
- We anticipate the Playground will be ready by end of Summer/Early Fall.
The Tale of the Purple Octopus Playground
We are THRILLED to announce our newest outdoor play space! The All-Abilities Purple Octopus Playground is coming Spring 2022!
As Above & Beyond Children's Museum continues to grow, we continue to assess how to bring our play spaces out into the wider community. The Children’s Museum is working to install a fully ADA-accessible public outdoor playground called the Purple Octopus Playground in our outdoor green space.
We have the opportunity to build something that is as beautiful as it is fun to play on. An outdoor exhibit that children of all backgrounds and abilities will have the opportunity to interact with.
Instead of a standard playground, the Museum is connecting to the other public art pieces around the downtown area to bring something wholly unique to Sheboygan. We found that MONSTRUM, the internationally acclaimed playground company located in Norway, fit with our vision. They have perfected the art of creating playscapes that are artistic in nature, structurally sound, and focused on child development.
We have brought on Jos. Schmitt Construction to work alongside MONSTRUM to prep the site and install the equipment. Once completed, it will be 90 feet in length and 47 feet wide with landscape designed by Bookworm Gardens.
Click here for the full playground design by MONSTRUM.
Downtown Sheboygan does not currently have a public outdoor play space that is specifically ADA-accessible. The playground is being designed with ADA-accessible components including a wheelchair transfer platform in the head of the octopus and ground-level accessible equipment and swing set. Parks and playgrounds are located some distance away from the main thoroughfare of the city and have to be accessed via transportation. Installing a playground within the Museum’s green space allows us to reach people of all socio-economic levels and abilities - whether they are just visiting Sheboygan or are growing up here.
We need your support to reach our $500,000 goal to make this dream a reality! Please consider a gift that will help us get that much closer to bringing the Purple Octopus to our community.
Above & Beyond Children's Museum thanks the following individuals, corporations, and foundations for their support in building the Purple Octopus Playground: Jay Christopher, the City of Sheboygan, Melitta S. & Joan M. Pick Charitable Trust, Catharine B. Stayer Foundation, Ruth St. John and John Dunham West Foundation, Terry Kohler Family Foundation, Van Horn Automotive, Kohler Company, Kwik Trip, Harbor Centre (BID), Becca Grace Foundation, Sargento Foods Inc., Kohler Foundation Inc., and the Sheboygan Evening Lions Club.